Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Gas found mixed with oil in my Troy-bilt lawn tractor

"Ima Goodguy" wrote in message
news
I started my Troy-bilt (super bronco) the other day. I almost
immediately started running rough and smoking profusely.
I shut it down and remembered the last time this happened.
Sure enough I checked the oil dip stick and the fluid level
was a couple inches above the full mark. And it smelled
like gasoline. I put a pan under the drain plug, opened the
drain plug and the fluid contents poured out like water and
smelled like gas.

As mentioned, this had already happened once before.
My question is: How can gasoline be getting mixed into
my oil pan ? This same situation once happened to my
girlfriends mower.

I have never mistakingly poured gas into the oil filler, and
I suspect that someone is out to get me - unless someone
can explain a good reason how else this could happen.

I don't know about this particular motor, but if the float in the carburetor
hangs up, the gas runs into the piston and down the gap in the rings to the
oil pan.