Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default legume/clover for short, low maintenance yard?

On 4/9/12 5:46 PM, Ohioguy wrote:
Are there any legumes or clovers that I could incorporate into a low
maintenance yard? I have purchased a couple of short, relatively slow
growing fescue varieties, but a legume would add some nitrogen
naturally. I was thinking about white dutch clover, but then I seemed
to recall seeing some really short yellow flowers in a yard that
appeared to be a clover, vetch or something in the legume family. It
was only about half the height of dutch clover, but I can't seem to find
any seed. (probably because I don't know the name to search for)

Thanks!

Oxalis corniculata (yellow wood sorrel) looks very much like clover and
has a yellow flower. However, this is an awful weed.

Medicago polymorpha (yellow burr clover) also has yellow flowers. It is
a weed not quite as bad as oxalis. Its seeds, however, stick very
tightly to your pants legs, socks, and pets.

Thus, when you plant clover, make sure you plant one that will not
become a problem.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see