Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default next daft question

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:31:05 -0500, "John Price"
wrote:

Hi

Still plodding along working towards creating my first ever veg
patches. Got some spuds in the first strip now.

Got to wondering about water-butts. Close by to where I'm doing this is
a heavy duty plastic container (about 200-250 litres), left behind by
my predecessor. It sits beneath the downpipe from the guttering of my
garage. It has no top. Apart from water, I noticed last year that it
was also teeming with loads of what may be extra-terrestial life forms
wriggling around.

I could empty and clean it out and put it back in place, but should a
proper water-butt that I would use to water the veggies with, have a
lid. What are the issues? I could find something to cover the top with,
but would that need to be air/insect tight?

Bob Flowerdew once said that he keeps a goldfish in each of his water
tanks to take care of the "pondlife". You'd have to take care if you
were dipping a can in!!!

Pam in Bristol

Interesting, does he leave a lid on or off? I would have thought off.

No risk can dipping, we draw off the tap, however, all of ours are linked
together, what if one gets stuck in the pipe linking them together or in the
tap when drawing off?

Have to have words with my neighbour, his bred like mad and we put about 80
in my daughter's pond and they all vanished!!

Mike