Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Bay Tree Help

"Hedgecop" wrote in message

Hi All,

I have a Bay Tree on which the leaves are turning brown and falling off.
The tree has been very healthy for the last 5 years and this has only
started happening over the last 4 months. I have tried regularly
spraying it with various bug killers but with little or no success. I
have attached some photos and would really appreciate if anyone has any
ideas as to what the problem may be and how to solve it.

As already suggested, almost certainly lack of water.
I have seen this in my pot grown bay trees (when neglected) but not so far
in any planted in the ground.
The bay recovers once fed and watered - you just cut out the dead bits.
Bay trees are very hardy, so just regard this as a minor setback.
There are plenty of healthy looking leaves.

As suggested also, it could probably do with a good 'de-clutter' as the
photos show signs of pruning to maintain external shape, but also a confused
tangle of crossing branches inside the tree.

If the structure is simplified by cutting out as lot of the twisted and
crossing inner branches then it should grow out again within the year.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder