Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Trugs - The Strongest Ones?

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
You have to move on David. Tose trugs are things of the past. Trug
nowadays is a name gived to something that has come into being since the
wicker trugs and do a totally diferent job. That's language for you, folk
can design a new bit of kit but can't generate a new name for it.

Bill-

What do you mean "Move on" Bill?
The Sussex trug is alive and well and still has several makers, and
the "Sussex trug " May have a split willow handle, though many were
made with Hazel instead of willow.
I know that the name is also applied to plastic "Buckets" just as the
name clog is now used por plastic footware as well ad "Dutch" clogs
made from all wood, or the "Northern" clog with leather uppers and
wooden soles.
It's not my fault that people are to lazt to think of a new name for
things.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay

Firstly Dave, you are not the ony David on this NG and it was another to
which I replied.
The other David only mentioned the wicker trugs implying a certain
singularity of the meaning of the word "trug".

Just for the record, I.'m absolutely positive you are faultless that people
are too lazy to think of a new name

Bill