Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default everbearing strawberries?

Ohioguy wrote:
I really liked the flavor of the wild strawberries that used to grow
out in our yard near several of the trees. They didn't yield enough to
get more than a small handful, but the taste was wonderful.

So the consensus on everbearing strawberries is that they aren't
really worth it?

i have Ozark (i think, i'll know for sure in a bit
when the greenhouse guy gets his stock in for the
season) and they taste fine to me.

had three crops last season, almost a fourth,
this season might be able to do four since it
is looking to start earlier.

full sun is important and rich soil that has
good moisture content. if you are shaded or using
sandy poor soil then the crop will be less.

during the mid summer when it gets really hot
i have a cover crop of beans for shade.

this year i'll have about 1500 Honeoye June
bearing and 50 (Ozark) everbearing. we'll see
how it goes...

songbird