Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default How best to use poppy seeds?

On Apr 10, 5:20*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Eddy" *wrote

I have a coffee mug full of poppy seeds. *(It looks like a cup full of
ground coffee powder.)

Poppies appear in our garden every year, and in every unlikely and
unwanted place. *Last year I decided to take action by letting them
flower (the splashes of brilliant red are very pleasant) but to then
snip off the flower-heads before they had time to scatter their scores
of tiny seeds all over the place. *So a year later I've shaken all the
seeds out of the heads and now have a coffee cup full of them - cornered
in a cup rather than scattered all over the garden.

It would be nice to have poppies in the grass verges of the lane that
runs past the house (and well away from the garden). *The lane runs east
to west, so the verge on one side of it is south-facing and gets the
sun, while the verge on the other gets little because it sits in the
shadow of a hedge that runs along that side of the lane. *But the
south-facing verge gets very dry, due to its exposure to the sun, and
its hedge "shields" the verge from any rain there might be.

So, which side would be best for poppies?

And what would be the best way of getting them to grow? *Would just
scattering the seeds into the grass verge work? *Or would I need to
expose patches of soil?

Of course, I'm taking it for granted that poppies could compete with all
the grasses and wild flowers that are currently in the verge.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Find where they are digging up the verge, when they have nearly finished
just broadcast the seed on the soil and await the outcome. Someone (who will
remain nameless) did that on the verge of the M3 some years ago with Opium
Poppies and there was a superb display until some idiot demanded they be
weedkillered, total waste of money.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
Posted to this Newsgroup from the W of London, UK- Hide quoted text -

Why worry, there are over 3000 poppy seeds per gram so you can do what
you like, throw some arround in the wind, scratch somr soil for more,
find some dug soil or molehills for more, even use some in you cake
making, and you will probablt still have enoug left to do it all again
next year.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.