Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Rhubarb

On Apr 10, 8:45*pm, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

My rhubarb has come on very well this year (uncovered and not forced).
So much so that I am tempted to pick some of the larger stalks (9-12
inches long). I've never picked this early before, usually starting
early-mid May, so I am wondering if it is wise to pick this early,
especially as ground frost is still forecast occassionally this week.

* Why not? Logically it will do less harm to the plant than picking off
two foot stems with huge leaves on.

* We always start picking ours at 6 inches; it's very sweet and tender at
that stage. We've been picking for three weeks :-)

* *Janet

In my youth we always put a bucket over a couple of crowns to get some
early rhubarb