Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eddy Eddy is offline

Default How best to use poppy seeds?

Emery Davis wrote:

It sometimes takes news servers a while to propagate a message.

Thanks. I shall be more patient!

On subject, like you I can't get poppies to go where I want; but they do
go everywhere else. As with feverfew, I find them worth the trouble. I
have found that they love to grow on a small gravel bank next to some
planters. Foxgloves like it there too, so I round up elsewhere on the
gravel but not in that spot, and they come back year after year.

Indeed. These errant poppies and as many foxgloves seem to love our
south-facing garden which was once a lawn but has been completely
bark-chipped and planted with alpines. Like your gravel area our garden
is somewhat banked too.

As I said the brilliant red-poppy flowers do add splashes of colour, but
the trouble is for most of the time these tall grey-green and rather
tall plants are flowerless AND they shoot up in all the most unexpected
places, rather ruining the design of the garden. They're like
anarchists in an orderly crowd!

Eddy.