Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Amber jelly on evergreen shrub

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 19:33:24 +0000, Blenny
wrote:

And another update - a local qualified gardener has had a look at it and
says to cut it back 6" below the bottom infestation so I'm trying to do
that with secateurs and put the pieces instantly into bin bags - it's a
mammoth job and the stuff gets everywhere including in my gloves. Anyone
know how infectious this stuff is? A Wisconsin advice sheet says to keep
dipping your pruning shears in alcohol or 10% bleach. Does this mean I'm
carrying it around on my trousers and wellies? But if I get someone to
come and uproot it bodily the gloop will fly everywhere … Aargh! I don't
want it spreading to the hawthorn and roses or the nearby japonica.

Cover it with one of those cheapo disposable plastic painter's drop
cloths, fasten it at the bottom with duct tape, then nip it off where
you want and dispose of it all wrapped like a mummy.