View Single Post
  #70   Report Post  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2011

Hi All,

I will be spreading used coffee grounds around my Brassica, beets, and carrot this season to deter slugs. In the case of carrot I am wondering in the aroma of coffee will disorientate the carrot fly by blocking the scent of thinned out carrots.

I've never tried this before but think it worthy of a trial, I have tried garlic solution and just about everything else to no avail. I have a source of used coffee grounds from a local coffee shop, all I do is supply the plastic bags.

I use these spent coffee grounds in my compost bins they seem to interact well with EM's within the bins as the compost breaks down very quickly.

Just thought I would pass this on for anyone else who wishes to try this out, however I would suggest mist spraying these grounds in hot weather to ensure that the aroma is in the air around the carrots.

The mind is like a parachute its totally useless unless open.[/quote]

Along with coffee grounds you can add egg shells which will also deter slugs. Place used coffee grounds (the stronger the better) and broken egg shells in a circular perimeter around the plants you are trying to protect. Use sand. distribute playground sand around young plants early in the Spring. Be generous with the sand. Slugs hate sand because it rips their bellies open and they die.