Old 12-04-2012, 06:15 PM
ohnorowe ohnorowe is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
RioBravo wrote:[color=blue][i]
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:
;955323']RioBravo wrote:
Most of those should handle a light frost. I would go for (3) and
throw a
blanket over them if it looks like being a really cold night.

Thank you. i will be able to bring them indoors if needed, even once
potted into troughs.

Can I ask a couple of other questions.

1) Is there a good way to group them together in troughs (maybe 4 or 5
together)? I will keep the mint separate

To start I would group them on water needs. For example mint likes to be
damp and will stand being wet but rosemary likes excellent drainage and to
get fairly dry between watering. However there is another issue that some
like rosemary form a perennial shrub up to about 1.5m high where others
like rocket are annuals only 20-30cm. So the rosemary might, for example,
be better off in a larger tub on its own where it will not be disturbed. If
by kitchen bay you mean laurus nobilis it grows into a sizeable tree which
is hardly suitable for a trough. There is no one size fits all here. Study
all the labels and/or get a book on herbs from the local library for all
their different preferences.

2) Do people use fertilizer, if so, which one, and how much?

Most herbs are not heavy feeders and there is nothing to be gained by trying
to force them on. Some will be fine on the nutrients in the (I assume)
fresh potting mix others that last more than one season may need topping up
each year with a _little_ general fertiliser.

David

Wow! I just looked up the hardiness zoning for the UK!!

YOU ARE "WAY OK" TO PLANT ANYTHING YOU WANT! No worries..

Rebecca