Old 12-04-2012, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Cold Weather

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:37:51 -0400, "Steve Peek"
wrote:

"The Cook" wrote in message
.. .
The average last frost for this area is April 11. So this morning the
temperature got down to 31. Thankfully the only thing that got hit
was basil. Thankfully I had only put out 1/2 of the basil plants. We
also put the citrus trees back in the greenhouse yesterday. They may
get to stay there for a few more days.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Yep, thankfully I brought the peppers, eggplant and tomatoes in last night.
We had a huge "rabbit tracking" frost this morning. I'm just west of you,
they say I'm in 7a, but I'm not convinced.
Steve

I am on the edge between 7b and 7a. The line seems to be between Surry
and Yadkin counties, the Yadkin river. I am about 5 or 6 miles north
of the river.

The hardiness zones can only give you a general idea about the
climate. Someone told me that I should not set out my tomatoes until
the first of May. I will keep a close eye on the weather for the next
couple of weeks.