Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Cold Weather

On 4/12/2012 12:11 PM, The Cook wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:37:51 -0400, "Steve
wrote:

"The wrote in message
The average last frost for this area is April 11. So this morning the
temperature got down to 31. Thankfully the only thing that got hit
was basil. Thankfully I had only put out 1/2 of the basil plants. We
also put the citrus trees back in the greenhouse yesterday. They may
get to stay there for a few more days.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Yep, thankfully I brought the peppers, eggplant and tomatoes in last night.
We had a huge "rabbit tracking" frost this morning. I'm just west of you,
they say I'm in 7a, but I'm not convinced.
Steve

I am on the edge between 7b and 7a. The line seems to be between Surry
and Yadkin counties, the Yadkin river. I am about 5 or 6 miles north
of the river.

The hardiness zones can only give you a general idea about the
climate. Someone told me that I should not set out my tomatoes until
the first of May. I will keep a close eye on the weather for the next
couple of weeks.

May 15 is normal frost free date here in northern Delaware. I've had
tomatoes out earlier but it does not appear to make any difference.
I bought seedlings over a week ago and re-potted and they are growing
nicely behind sliding glass door in the house. I'll take them in and
out to make sure they stay hardy but will not plant til May 15.