Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Cold Weather

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

The average last frost for this area is April 11. So this morning the
temperature got down to 31. Thankfully the only thing that got hit
was basil. Thankfully I had only put out 1/2 of the basil plants. We
also put the citrus trees back in the greenhouse yesterday. They may
get to stay there for a few more days.

Well, the _average_ last frost means some years later than that, some
years earlier than that, so plunking out basil the day of the average is
asking for it, IMHO, unless the forecast looks really good (and even
then I'd have the fabric covers or plastic or something handy just in
case.) With the wacky weather this year, anything can probably happen (I
wonder if the week of June we got here in March will be traded for a
week of March in June...complete with snow.)

Got peas poking up and lettuce/spinach seedlings out in the garden. Will
be planting the "shallots from seed" into the cold frame Saturday,
looking at the forecast. Been hardening them out there in the days for a
week or so. Probably also put broccoli out, but in wall-o-waters. Garlic
is up, some has been up all winter, garlic is not concerned about cold -
I like that.

My basil, tomatoes and eggplants are dicots or one set true leaves,
cowering inside under lights and waiting for May - late May, mostly,
though W-o-W will probably move that up a bit for at least some of them.
Average last frost is May 15th, and we've had 4" snow on May 19th - the
lilacs were in bloom (not very long ago, nor very recently, but I don't
recall which year) - it's _only_ an average...

Zone 4 NW Mass.