View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Old 13-04-2012, 08:40 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergie44 View Post
Hi i'm new at gardening but extremely keen, i've recently purchased a magnolia tree (Grown in a pot not a seedling) and would like to know the best soil type to plant it with and where abouts i can purchase said soil also best method of planting, any advice or help is much appriciated. cheers
Look for a mist area with good drainage to plant magnolia. Acidic soils are the best for the trees. Apply fertilizer to a young tree monthly. Since it is being applied frequently, only provide a light amount each time. Use one pound of 8-8-8 or 10-10-10 fertilizer per 100 square feet in March, May, July and September. This will give the tree the necessary organic nutrients it needs to adapt to its new environment.

Make the hole for the magnolia root ball twice as wide as the ball but only as deep as the root ball. Top off with 3 to 5 inches of mulch. Prune the tree when it is young. This will help it develop its adult, pyramidal shape. Trim side branches and leave bottom branches. You will have to wait around 10 years before a magnolia tree begins blooming. This is when the tree becomes mature.