Old 13-04-2012, 06:21 PM
allen73 allen73 is offline
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenny View Post
Hoping for some help please! I moved recently to a house with a carefully-planned mature garden, which I'm trying to care for properly but I'm not familiar with some of the plants. I noticed today that a big low spreading Juniper-like shrub has got amber coloured blobs of jelly all over it and it seems to be dying. The heather next to it also seems to be mostly dead. What do I do?? Picture attached.
And another update - a local qualified gardener has had a look at it and
says to cut it back 6" below the bottom infestation so I'm trying to do
that with secateurs and put the pieces instantly into bin bags - it's a
mammoth job and the stuff gets everywhere including in my gloves. Anyone
know how infectious this stuff is? A Wisconsin advice sheet says to keep
dipping your pruning shears in alcohol or 10% bleach. Does this mean I'm
carrying it around on my trousers and wellies? But if I get someone to
come and uproot it bodily the gloop will fly everywhere … Aargh! I don't
want it spreading to the hawthorn and roses or the nearby japonica.
Fruit Trees