Old 13-04-2012, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Rhubarb

In article ,
says...

In article ,
lid says...

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Apr 10, 8:45 pm, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

My rhubarb has come on very well this year (uncovered and not
forced). So much so that I am tempted to pick some of the larger
stalks (9-12 inches long). I've never picked this early before,
usually starting early-mid May, so I am wondering if it is wise to
pick this early, especially as ground frost is still forecast
occassionally this week.

Why not? Logically it will do less harm to the plant than picking off
two foot stems with huge leaves on.

We always start picking ours at 6 inches; it's very sweet and tender
at that stage. We've been picking for three weeks :-)

Janet

In my youth we always put a bucket over a couple of crowns to get some
early rhubarb

For the first time ever that is just what I have done!

Alan

I harvested my first rhubarb (ever!) yesterday and made a delicious little
crumble. What I'm wondering is, how much is it safe to pick before it starts
weakening and damaging the plant? I don't want to overdo it.

Ian

Depends on the plant! How old is it?

If it is in its first or second year, dont over do it. I always leave at
least on stalk per crown/bud, often two. Also stop picking in July so
that it has chance to build itself up for the winter - they also say
that after July there are toxin's or something in the stalks, but I'm
still here and I've been eating rhubarb till mid/late August for may
years.

It's oxalic acid. It's always present in rhubarb but the levels are
higher later in the season.

http://www.dewsworld.com/FInDefenseofOxalicAcid.html

Action of Poisoning:
"Oxalic acid also combines with metals such as calcium, iron, sodium,
magnesium, and potassium in the body to form oxalate crystals which
precipitate and irritate the gut and kidneys. The calcium oxalate
preciptate (better known as kidney stones) obstruct the kidney tubules.
Because it binds vital nutrients such as calcium, long-term consumption of
foods high in oxalic acid can lead to nutrient deficiencies.

Healthy individuals can safely consume such foods in moderation, but those
with kidney disorders, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, or certain forms of
chronic vulvar pain (vulvodynia) are typically advised to avoid foods high
in oxalic acid or oxalates....

The gritty feel one gets in the mouth when drinking milk with rhubarb
desserts is caused by precipitation of calcium oxalate. Thus even dilute
amounts of oxalic acid can readily "crack" the casein found in various
dairy products."

I was always told babies and frail elderly people with thinning bones
should also avoid rhubarb because of the calcium interference

Janet