Old 13-04-2012, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cold and damp

On 4/13/12 1:39 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Awesome! You are a stats demon!

I usually go around with my head up my, uh, statistics, hardly
noticing the weather from year to year, because it has been so steady
over the [censored] years I have been in Santa Monica. I just hope
these anomalies don't **** up my blueberries, which will be going into
their second year. I realize they are bred for mininum winter chill,
but they didn't get much of anything this year, The plum and apricot,
also planted last year, are just timidly starting to leaf out.

Group members in other climates might find it hard to realize what a
difference our respective microclimates can make!

You do the praying for me; nobody listens to me Up There!

Well...I dunno, BIG LOUD THUNDER just shook the house...are they
trying to tell me something...g

I wanted to create a Web page that describes the climate in my garden.
See http://www.rossde.com/garden/climate.html. This required creating
spread sheets for rainfall, winter chill, and monthly temperature ranges.

Fortunately, the Department of Water Resources (DWR) has a Web site with
archived daily and even hourly data. There is an automated weather
station just about 2 miles east of me that sends hourly data via
satellite to a DWR computer, which updates the Web site automatically.
(Data are sent about 40 minutes after they are collected.)

The nearest weather station to you that reports to the DWR computer is
MLB (Malibu). See
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MLB&d=now&span=24hours.
This appears to be high on a hill between Topanga and Malibu Canyons.
Other stations appear near you on a map; but when I tried to get
details, I found they are either inactive or rely on manual data
collections (generally, only rainfall).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see