Old 14-04-2012, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Cheapest way to keep at 15-22 degrees celcius?

"BlackThumb" wrote in message

Hello,

I would like to buy a cocoa tree seedling, but they need to be kept at
15 c minimum. We have the heating on in our house as little as possible,
and during the winter night, use an electric blanket.

It also needs to be humid. The easiest way would be to stand it over
water, but what about heating it? I don't have a green house, but I do
have a conservatory (incase that's any help). I was hoping for the
cheapest way to keep it heated (if possible). Portable heaters are too
expensive to run.

If you don't think it's possible to keep a plant warm cheaply, I guess
I'll have to leave it .

Try experimenting [1] with a box with a light bulb[2] in it. I'm told this
works for various baby animals, and possibly for hatching tortoises. A bowl
of water in the box would help with humidity. Lining the box with baking
foil should also be helpful. Don't get too heath robinson about installing
the bulb, electrical safety will of course be vital.

Steve

[1] Experiment with a thermometer to see how the temperature holds up before
committing your seed.

[2] The old type bulb, not the energy saving type.