Old 14-04-2012, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default weird discovery

In my garden yesterday I noticed something strange, and being
partially sighted it took me a while to discover what it was. It
looked like a deformed bud on a hellebore, hard and round.
I picked it to have a closer look. I turned out to be a bud which was
growing inside an empty snail shell, on a stem about 10 inches tall.
It's a pink hellebore but the petals, when I removed the shell, were
white, due to light deprivation I assume.

Pam in Bristol