Old 21-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Tim B

Default New Tomatoes cut off: What did it?

If they were cut off right at the soil line I'd say cutworms, and suggest
you treat with Carbaryl. They like young tomato plants very much. Since
it's further up the stem I'm not so sure about it but since they were clean
cuts that would make sense.

"Frau Himmel" wrote in message
My gardener-wife has just completed the
Spring garden, 20' X 30'. She has included
Many tomato plants (for frying green!) and
Japanese egg plants. They stand nearly a
foot high. For two nights in succession,
Something has cut two tomatos and three
egg plants off @ 2.5 inches off the ground.
It's a clean cut, almost surgical. Doesn't
seem anything was eaten, just severed.
Now she has put Sevin and diazanon
around the remaining plants. We have
lots of squirrels and a few racoons, but
I don't think they're that neat!.

1. What is doing this? and
2. How would you prevent it continuing?

TKS,