Old 14-04-2012, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climber ideas

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:

Passiflora caerulea can't take the winters;

I can't make up my mind about that. Mine shrugged off the last two
winters, despite the north wind blowing through its trellis. Other years
it has disappeared without trace during not very severe winters.
Fortunately it tends to self seed everywhere so I always have replacements.
IME it makes no attempt to climb above whatever's supporting it so it's
a relatively well behaved climber.

Mine did tolerably for a few years, but usually died down to ground
level and regrew. Eventually, it lost vigour and I removed the
remaining weedy suckers and dead main root. Yes, it's well-behaved
and can be cut back hard. I only once got fruit.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.