Old 14-04-2012, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default no dig ground elder eradication?

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:00:30 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

There are too many "Roundups" now and not all of them are pure
glyphosate. I object strenuously to Monsanto's extremely cavalier
attitude to GM crops and have always used generic products.

AFAIK there is no "Roundup" that is pure glyphosate. With the generic
product (Bayer) you know exactly what you're getting. I believe that
the essential difference with Roundup is the chemicals that minimise
run-off. There is a lot of research that indicates that those
chemicals are worse than glyphosate itself - hence the bad press that
glyphosate often gets by association. I use Roundup only very
occasionally when I particularly (REALLY particularly) want a quick
result.

I'm not saying that glyphosate is without its own issues, of course,
as no chemical will be. However used responsibly it does the job it's
designed to do with minimal environmental impact. I do have some
issues with the domestic version of Roundup but the "agricultural"
equivalent should have been banned years ago.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the sunny and refreshingly green
east end of Swansea Bay.