Old 14-04-2012, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Climber ideas

Nick wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

Tropaeolum speciosum?
Often said to get bigger than you require but I have yet to see one that
has.

Thanks, but completely hopeless on sandy soil in Cambridge. It needs
cool, damp conditions, at least at the root. I have tried several
times; none thrived, and only one lasted out the first summer.

OK, then how about ...
Eccremocarpus scaber (might not be winter hardy, advice differs)
Trachelospermum asiaticum or jasminoides.
Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin'
Olearia

They all like it free draining and sun but there is free draining and there
is dry.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.