Old 15-04-2012, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default Tomatoes and sowing compost

"Pete" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
... I put them on the
cill to germinate then plant them out in a full sun position when they
have nice sturdy stems. No re-potting. I just sow them in pairs and
break them apart when I 'think' its time for them to be planted
outside. If frost gets them, I have plenty more to plant out.

Once they are outside and fruit has set all I do is take off side
shoots, water them daily and feed them weekly. In the few years I have
grown them I have had a very nice crop indeed, enough for bottling,
sauce.etc.

I assume soup for the freezer is included in the "etc" !
We still got about a hundred servings of the last two years tomato to
enjoy. Today it is celery 2010 vintage, thawing out for lunch as I
write. We do try to consume most within twelve months of production
though.

Regards
Pete

First thing is that my celery always goes to seed before the stems are only
2" high. So I am doing somthing wrong.

Second thing I use bottled tomatoes to make soup as needed. It never
occured to me to make it,(in bulk?) then freeze it. Homemade tomato soup is
something our family adore.

We haven't a extra large freezer(like you must have) and must bottle or
pickle our surpluss everythings. Sometimes make a clamp of sorts(in boxes
carrots & parsnip). Clamp is the wrong termination but I am sure you know
what I mean.

Good luck
Baz