Old 15-04-2012, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default The Impossibilities of Gardening

Weird discoveries today. The sort that my head tells me just cannot
be. In no particular order ...

My first mystery is why the max/min thermometer in a greenhouse is
saying that sometime after 2.00 pm yesterday, when I reset it to
record the overnight min, the temp shot up to 35C. I've checked it
against another one today and it's currently showing the correct temp.

My second mystery is why all of my tomato plants have keeled over
overnight. They look like something has flattened the stem about an
inch above compost level and they have flopped over at that point. The
stems aren't chewed, just flattened. They were fine yesterday (FWIW
they were in the conservatory not the greenhouse so didn't get
"baked")

My third mystery was when letting the cat out early this morning.
There in the porch was the neatly severed head of a mouse staring up
at me. It wasn't there when the cat came in. So has some other cat in
the vicinity been watching "The Godfather"? And is that cat able to
achieve a "clean" decapitation? It really looked like the head had
been cut off with a knife. The cat just hissed at it, turned around,
walked through the house and went out through the back door! I think
he knows something! By the time I'd got dressed and went out to remove
the head it had gone.

And finally, I applied some granular weed and feed to the back lawn a
week or so ago. Looking at it today there are two "tramlines" in the
lawn looking like missed strips. But why are they at right angles to
the direction I walked in when spreading the granular stuff?

I have asked the local hospital to send a couple of white coated chaps
along in an unmarked van! You may not hear from me for a while!

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the sunny and refreshingly green
east end of Swansea Bay.