Old 15-04-2012, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climber ideas

In article ,
Spider wrote:

Am I missing something here, or is there some reason why an evergreen
hedge couldn't be grown in this situation?

Lack of width, for a start. I could grow something that can be
trained to be very narrow, like Cotoneaster, but it would be
suitable for only part of the area, and I find them as exciting
as a wet Wednesday in Wigan.

I am thinking specifically
of Pyracantha, which is often grown next to a house wall and can look
very smart. It is smothered in flower June/July and is very attractive
to bees, hoverflies and butterflies; then, in Autumn it is smothered in
berries which attract birds .. thus saving you lots of dosh on bird food.

Er, that's a GHASTLY idea! I got rid of my last one because I was
sick of pruning it - stems 6' and 3/4" across in a season - and the
thorns always caused minor inflammation. Also, it's not evergreen
here! Sorry ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.