Old 15-04-2012, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default The Impossibilities of Gardening

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 14:04:15 GMT, Baz wrote:

Fatwa?
Or maybe the Maffia could not afford a horses head?
It could of coure be Shergar who has been hijacked and returned by the
Baka tribe?
Your cat might have p****d on your tomato plants.

Baz

Who knows - just weird stuff all round!

I can at least rule out cat as source of tomato probs - he's not
allowed in the conservatory when plants are growing in it because he
loves to curl up on the trays.

I'm thinking it's probably too late to sow new seeds now so will
probably buy established plants from a local nursery. I'd just love to
know why they all keeled over like they did last night.

I've got two standard roses on which the tops are nice and green but
have no sign of buds, let alone bursting buds. But they've decided to
sprout all up the stems this year. My pear tree has produced a clump
of leaves at the very top of the topmost branch but otherwise seems
lifeless - lower branches snap off easily and are totally dead. My
4-year-old morello cherry tree has separated at the graft so that's
this year's Black Forest Gateaux plans down the pan! I just don't know
what the world's coming to! Even the Tulameens are behaving badly - 5
foot canes with a pair of leaves at the very top and nowt else below -
they have been reliable for years. I'm playing safe and have a new
batch of primo-canes on order so at least I'll have fruit this year.

I've sowed a pack of T&M potentilla seeds which have come up looking
very much like tanacetum (I can say that because I sowed a pack of
tanacetum a couple of months ago and they're growing on in the
greenhouse) and a pack of rudbeckia which look remarkably like
amaranthus to me. The laugh is that I love amaranthus but have never
before been able to grow them successfully. So if they grow from a
mislabeled pack that'll be a double first for me!

On the plus side, I've got some little strawberries developing - can't
remember seeing flowers though.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.