Old 15-04-2012, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bird feeder for the wee fellahs

"Pendrag0n" wrote in message
news
Looking for a decent birdfeeder for the small birds. Any suggestions?

Had a plain feeder but the fussy buggers seem to drop most of the
seed, or rather spit it out in disgust! This in turn encourages ratty
to show up a little too frequently. I no longer have a table because
the pigeons seem to think its a toilet, and the doves think its a
bed!!
I put a tray underneath the feeder to catch the spill. Now the smart
ar** rooks have discovered they can cling to the tray and pinch the
seed...lol so thats no good either.

Any tips for a hanging feeder?

Do not buy "wild bird food" with wheat in as sold in supermarkets.
I have great success with half canary seed/half sunflower hearts, but even
better if you can find a pet shop that sells British finch feed to do that
50/50.

..