Old 15-04-2012, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Buying a polytunnel for the allotment

On Apr 15, 6:32*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
At the moment I have polytunnel envy.
Next plot has one with a home made frame (wood, mains poly water pipe, all
sorts) but a proper cover.
Said the cover cost about £80.

Now Google offers me either cheap (£60 ish) flimsy looking things which are
generally described as useful for starting things off before taking down for
the autumn/winter, or more serious looking stuff around the £250 mark for a
6 * 10 or 8 * 10 tunnel.

So has anyone found a cheap source for robust polytunnels?

Prices around the £100 mark might be nice.

Prices over £150 have me calculating how many years I could spend in Lidl
buying their tomatoes and peppers before I got my money back.
[£3 a week for 50 weeks gets me a whole load of veggies - how long to grow
enough fresh tomatoes and peppers to last me 50 weeks?.]

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

I have a polytunnel. They have their snags.
I would go to a farm auction & try to get a real one second hand. The
proper plastic lasts about ten years (Visqueen or similar).Don't get
the el-cheapo,onlylastsacouple ofyears.

The support hoops need tape to stop wind chafing. (and keeping the hot
metal away if hoops are metal.)