Old 16-04-2012, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1[_3_] Farm1[_3_] is offline

Default swiss chard

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Farm1" wrote:

"songbird" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
songbird wrote:

when it comes to matters of taste
things are quite subjective. in one of the
other groups (preserving) there is someone who
hates beets and calls them dirt chunks.

Hmmpf! Obviously the person who thinks that must be a seriously bad
cook
if
that is how they taste to them. I'd stop reading any hints or tips
from
them.

oh dear! i think they are a fine cook as they
win many awards. they simply do not like beets.
and i've never noted the person saying things
about cooking that would make me suspect they
don't know what they are doing.

"Dirt chunks" should have been a dead giveaway.

Well, there is "chacun à son goût",

I thought about that and I've dismissed it as merely being lack of
experience on the part of the eater :-))

I was thinking about this issue as I went about my chores after posting here
this morning. I tried to think of a vegetable of which I didn't like the
taste. There really wasn't one veg I could name IF and I do mean if, it was
harvested at optimum time and well prepared. All, overly big, tired and
poorly or unimaginatively cooked veg can, and most often are, hideous.

If I had been asked in my 20s if I liked silver beet, or Broad Beans (Fava
beans in USian) I'd have said no. Then I discovered how to both harvest
them and cook and present them. I could also have said that I'm not overly
fond of Brussel Sprouts but very young and tender ones are a delight - ditto
swedes and turnips. But all of these must be young and cooked by a
compatent cook. I even like chillies if prepared so as not to blow my
brains out (what few I still possess).

Himself (my SO) used to say that he hated green beans. After putting up
with that crap comment for decades, I finally decided to ignore his wishes
and plant them. He has now discovered that when picked young and steamed so
they don't go a grey colour, they are actually well worth eating. Maybe not
on his I want to eat then 5 timfes a week list, but certainly soemthing he
eats and doesn't whinge aobut when he sees them on his plate.

There is a British cook/lifestyle bloke called Hugh Fearley-Whittingstall
who does wonderful TV progs about his life, his recipes and his caff/small
holding and he set out a challenge competition between himself and the chef
at his caff, to serve cauliflower in an exciting way so they could
potentially servie it to the customers of the caff. His shows are brilliant
because he is always managing to convert people to the love of veg after
they vow and declare that they will not, have not and could not possibly
ever eat 'x'.

Out of the hearing of the chef, he said to camera that he absolutely loathed
Cauliflower cheese since he'd been forced to suffer it at boarding school
and that he would never ever serve it at his caff.

Of course the chef chose to make what he called 'Cheesy cauliflower' to
serve up to Hugh for his tasting. Hugh was very rude about it till he
tasted it, he gave it the thumbs up and agreed to serve it to customers.