Old 16-04-2012, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beans, Frost and Pop Bottles

On 16/04/2012 09:48, Moonraker wrote:
On 16/04/2012 08:34, Bob Hobden wrote:
"TheScullster" wrote
As per usual, I started by runner beans off on a window sill about 2
weeks ago (Scarlet Empire).
They are already about 6" tall and will need planting out soon - I do
not have cold frame or green house.

We have recently had frost and hail here - East Yorkshire 3 mile from
Humber Bridge - elevated location - there are no signs of a warm up!

Some time ago while visiting some open gardens, I noticed one guy had
covered some climbing plant with cut off pop bottles (neck uppermost).

So the climber is protected to a height of 8-10", then has to make its
way out of the narrow neck before continuing its journey skyward.

Has anyone else tried this with beans - is it recommended?

Good grief, I won't be planting mine until May and even then they get a
bit leggy before they can be planted out.

I always sowed mine in the warmth to get an earlier crop. However I got
fed up with them getting too leggy before I could plant them out, so for
the last 2 years I have sown direct in the open ground, but obviously
later. Both times I have had sturdier plants and no appreciable
difference in their cropping dates. so it is outdoor sowing for me now on.

I always sow mine directly outdoors nowadays. For one thing it is a
whole lot easier and less hassle than messing around with pots of leggy
bean plants. Secondly, because I sow my own bean seeds saved from the
previous year I've got tons of them, so don't care if any die or get
attacked with frost anyway because I can plant more seeds. I've also
found that the bean seeds are quite smart anyway and don't stick their
heads above ground until they decide the soil is warm enough. I planted
mine a couple of weeks ago, still not up but they will emerge when they
are ready. I tend to get around 95% germination rate and way more beans
than I we can eat and freeze.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.