Old 16-04-2012, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beans, Frost and Pop Bottles

On 16/04/2012 09:51, wrote:
In ,
Bob wrote:
"TheScullster" wrote
As per usual, I started by runner beans off on a window sill about 2 weeks
ago (Scarlet Empire).
They are already about 6" tall and will need planting out soon - I do not
have cold frame or green house.

Good grief, I won't be planting mine until May and even then they get a bit
leggy before they can be planted out.

Er, yes. I have just started germinating mine, and will then put
them in paper pots (7" high, 2" across). But even very hardy plants
aren't growing very fast outside, because of the temperature. It's
not going to be an early start to the year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Well it is a lovely sunny day today in Normandy, though a bit of a frost
this morning, quite a change from all the rain of the last few days.
Most of the potatoes are around 4 inches tall now, so I've given them
their first hoeing up.

Noticed that half a dozen runner bean plants are already up in the
garden, they may find it a bit nippy still. Don't care if they get
frosted though, I'll just put more seeds in where there are any gaps.

A few broad beans are up too.

My onions are doing well as are the cauliflower seedlings, bit of slug
damage on a few, but nothing serious. Noticed the little navet turnip
seedlings have small holes in the leaves already - possibly flea beetle?

Harvesting lots of chives and garden (land) cress for salads. Still
picking leaves from the curly kale planted last year - that is a really
resilient and long lasting brassica.

Picked the last of the leeks before they ran to seed.

Got around 30 sweetcorn seedlings in small pots under polythene doing
well, they'll be planted out in a few weeks time.

Courgettes, tomatoes and cucumber seedlings doing well indoors on the
window ledge.

Good day in the garden today. :-)

--
David in Normandy.