Old 16-04-2012, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farmer Giles Farmer Giles is offline

Default Build a Ball - Queries

On 16/04/2012 17:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:44:03 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Chris wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 15:32:13 +0100, "Colin Gibbins"
wrote:

I want to build a fruit cage.

Are build a balls any good for use with bamboo canes ?.

Can anyone recommend a cheap place to buy them ?.

TIA,

woodglass...

Absolutely effing bloody useless!! The holes are never the right size
for the canes; they pop out at the slightest provocation; I wouldn't
give them away to my worst enemy!

(You can see I made the mistake of buying some. Don't you do the
same!)

Thanks for that from me too, I was thinking of getting some and now I won't
waste the money.
It just occurred to me - would drilling the appropriate sized holes for the
canes we have in old tennis balls work?
You'd have to hold them firmly in a vice, of course.

The trouble with canes is that they vary in diameter, one from the
next, as well as from one end to the other. The B-a-B things have
slightly tapered holes in an attempt to accommodate this, but it
doesn't work. I doubt if tennis balls would either, but if you drill
the holes a bit undersize and individually for the size of cane, the
elasticity in a tennis ball might allow them to be forced in and
gripped. But I think they wouldn't be rigid, and the whole structure
would wobble about all over the place. More trouble than it's worth,
IMO. Better to use some decent twine and lash them together.

The ones I tried had different sized holes to accommodate different
sized canes - but they were still useless!