Old 17-04-2012, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adrian Brentnall[_2_] Adrian Brentnall[_2_] is offline

Default Buying a polytunnel for the allotment

On 17/04/2012 13:24, mogga wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:49:19 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Whatever you decide to buy make sure that you site it in a sheltered
position. Last year mine got blown down twice and most of the plants lost so
I haven't bothered this year :-(

kate

Mine is in a very exposed position. Yours can't have been properly
erected/constructed.

So what hints do you have for keeping them where they should be?

Make sure it's a strong, well-braced tunnel - there are different styles
& different thicknesses of metal tubes

Make sure that the plastic is tensioned tightly (in our case the plastic
is secured in a metal bar that's clamped to the hoops, and can be
tightened 'drumskin-tight')

Also, the hoops of our tunnel are set in a 9" x 9" concrete strip...
...but then, it does get windy out here.

A polytunnel _wants_ to become a kite - you have to find ways of
preventing that from happening...

Adrian