Old 18-04-2012, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Strawberries

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:10:33 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

I was going to rule out pot bound, but I just went down to empty some
pots where plants had died, and there was one strawberry there, not very
old, and the roots were quite meshed around the outside of the soil.
Inside ther seemed to be plenty of soil, so I suppose that the roots try
and stray away from the plant rather than go downwards.

Roots staying high and moving out rather than down may indicate that
the plants have been watered too little, too often. Won't hurt to
gently knock a plant out of another pot and check its roots.

Harry's suggested a virus but I don't know of one which would cause
stripes! My photosynthesis thought was on the basis that the leaves
might be nicely green near the main veins and becoming yellow as you
moved away from those.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.