Old 18-04-2012, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Strawberries

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 18:31:03 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 18/04/2012 18:03, Baz wrote:
wrote in :

On 18/04/2012 17:34, Spider wrote:
http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/706.PDF

Hope you can open the above link. It sounds like what you're describing.

I believe fragaria leaves show orange/red in response to nutrient
shortage, esp. nitrogen.

Sorry to respond to my own post. This was *intended* to pop up in
Jake's Strawberry thread. Oops! :~(

Don't worry, my eight legged friend, Jake is a forgiving Taffy.

Baz

Aw, shucks, Baz. That's nice of you.

Forgiving? Moi? I shall banish you to the Isle of Wight and have you
chained to the steps of Shanklin Theatre for a week if I can only find
eight chains

Not my strawberry thread, though, it's Roger's.

Seriously, I still don't think this is a virus. I didn't think of
Roger as someone to allow plants to become pot bound and so assumed he
was growing the plants in biggish pots or at least big enough pots
but, OK, root crowding may be an issue from his later post and would
tend to exacerbate any deficiency issue.

I think it's a deficiency and plumped for nitrogen (and then a
historical lack) as it seems to be affecting only the leaves - the
flowers and fruits are coming along nicely. He's feeding with Tomorite
so I guess the other trace elements are well catered for.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.