Old 18-04-2012, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default DIY question

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Not very practical in design ideas but i wondered if there was a way I
could attach some sort of hose to the tap on my very large waterbutt and
lead it into the greenhouse via the bottom vents on the glass and then
perhaps put a stopper or some sort of tap on the end.
If I could then get the siphon to work i thought I could fill up my
watering cans from the barrel quicker than at present coming out of the
greenhouse and going round to the back where the butts are located.
So I'd need an idea of how to attach the hose to the tap and another to
have a stop of some sort at the other end - oh and a way to start the
siphon as presumably as the rain barrel is so tall and the water higher
than the watering can the water will flow out okay?

Answer eagerly awaited!!
Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

I hope I can explain what I would do in this case if it is possible.

Your very large water but is outside. Yes?

Could you put a water but INSIDE so that the top is "almost" level with the
but outside? Yes?

Join the two together as low as possible, water entering the one outside,
when it reaches the joint to the one inside, will pour in until the water
inside is equal to the water outside, then, continue to fill.

Water can be drawn off in the normal way from either butt until the level
goes down to the joining section, you will then empty the inside one, the
outside one remaining at the joining pipe until water is drawn off the
outside but.

Hope that makes sense.

Just remember ""Water finds its own level"" We used lengths of hose with a
clear tube each end and water in the pipe, to get the levels on ships on the
stocks or the twisting moment when one hull was higher on a passenger
catamaran

Mike