Old 18-04-2012, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Bird feeder for the wee fellahs

In message , Martin
writes
On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 19:15:53 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Pendrag0n" wrote in message
news
Looking for a decent birdfeeder for the small birds. Any suggestions?

Had a plain feeder but the fussy buggers seem to drop most of the
seed, or rather spit it out in disgust! This in turn encourages ratty
to show up a little too frequently. I no longer have a table because
the pigeons seem to think its a toilet, and the doves think its a
bed!!
I put a tray underneath the feeder to catch the spill. Now the smart
ar** rooks have discovered they can cling to the tray and pinch the
seed...lol so thats no good either.

Any tips for a hanging feeder?

Do not buy "wild bird food" with wheat in as sold in supermarkets.

because? The birds don't eat it or what?

They don't eat the wheat (they just throw it away, or just leave it in
the feeder) - well leastways the small birds that go to the feeders
don't. Pidgeons etc. do I guess.

So whilst the food with wheat is cheaper, as the wheat is cheap and
bulks it out, it's rather a false economy.

As for feeders, my favourite seed feeders are the Droll Yankee type of
feeders. Like this:

http://www.haiths.com/Products/Droll...ers-Metal-wbsd
01008/

Though you can get variations on this from different places such as the
RSPB, CJ Birdfoods etc.

Not cheap, but we have got some that must be at least 10 - 12 years old
now and still going strong, so good value. The are pretty much squirrel
proof -if they want to they can get at the seed by using their paws to
get some out, but they have never chewed into them (in two gardens). The
base top and seed ports are all metal (some of which does so some teeth
marks, so they ahev had a go), so no access to the edge of the plastic
tube.

highly recommended
--
Chris French