Old 18-04-2012, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bird feeder for the wee fellahs

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 19:15:53 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Pendrag0n" wrote in message
news
Looking for a decent birdfeeder for the small birds. Any suggestions?

Had a plain feeder but the fussy buggers seem to drop most of the
seed, or rather spit it out in disgust! This in turn encourages ratty
to show up a little too frequently. I no longer have a table because
the pigeons seem to think its a toilet, and the doves think its a
bed!!
I put a tray underneath the feeder to catch the spill. Now the smart
ar** rooks have discovered they can cling to the tray and pinch the
seed...lol so thats no good either.

Any tips for a hanging feeder?

Do not buy "wild bird food" with wheat in as sold in supermarkets.

because? The birds don't eat it or what?
--

Because the small birds (which the OP wanted to attract) don't eat it and
will throw it out of the feeder.

I buy canary seed and sunflower hearts and mix them 50/50. I find this is
very successful and almost no waste.
If you live near a pet shop that sells British Finch Mix to mix 50/50 with
sunflower hearts, this is even better.
Wheat is for pigeons and doves and small birds that are attracted to a
hanging feeder full of supermarket mix will not eat it.
Tina