Old 18-04-2012, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default DIY question

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article
, Andy writes
If you are looking for a source of
suitable plumbing accessories, then may I recommend
http://www.cityirrigation.co.uk ?

Thanks Andy but I have no idea where to start ! i just envisioned a
sort of stopper to use on the end of a run of hose that would fit onto
the tap of the butt and another sort of stopper on other end!

OK. The standard waterbutt tap has a spigot onto which you can push the
end of the hose, and secure it with a jubilee clip.

This is fine if you want to keep the hose attached. More of a faff if
you want to remove it.

I'd suggest replacing the stock tap with one that will take a pushfit
hose fitting (Hozelock, Gardena, own brand ones, they all work together
pretty much)

Like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380429871940

Then get a couple of push fit hose fittings to go on each end of the
hose. One pushes onto the tap. On the other put some sort of nozzle or
spray gun to control the flow.

Here a couple of examples with all the bits you need together. One
plastic, one brass. Eventually (ok can be years) the plastic one break.
As I replace mine I'm getting brass ones. but they are more expensive

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=169526

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=122034

Have a browse for other fittings.

You could just hang the end of the hose up higher than the top of the
butt, and that will stop the flow, then no need for the nozzle. However
if it falls down, you could have an empty butt....

Not in this case, that in the ones I linked to, one of the fittings is a
water stop connector. This goes on the delivery end of the hose and cuts
off the water if nothing is inserted into the end of the fitting. You
would obviously have to use plain fitting instead, same as the water
butt end.

--
Chris French