Old 19-04-2012, 12:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nelly W Nelly W is offline

Default Amber jelly on evergreen shrub

On 4/11/2012 3:33 PM, Blenny wrote:
And another update - a local qualified gardener has had a look at it and
says to cut it back 6" below the bottom infestation so I'm trying to do
that with secateurs and put the pieces instantly into bin bags - it's a
mammoth job and the stuff gets everywhere including in my gloves. Anyone
know how infectious this stuff is? A Wisconsin advice sheet says to keep
dipping your pruning shears in alcohol or 10% bleach. Does this mean I'm
carrying it around on my trousers and wellies? But if I get someone to
come and uproot it bodily the gloop will fly everywhere … Aargh! I don't
want it spreading to the hawthorn and roses or the nearby japonica.

I didn't see the original post, but FFR if you're talking about Tremella
mesenterica, it infects only wood that's already dead.