Old 19-04-2012, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default Rain, locals panicking.

mogga wrote in
:

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:14:28 GMT, Baz wrote:

Some of the residents of our street are panicking and getting out.

It is absolutely pouring now. I must admit it is a bit scary.

Nothing on the news channel yet but it surely must be.

If you're staying put then take care.

It seems that because we live at the very bottom of a series of hills over
many miles, the wash is obviously comming downwards and the underground
drains are so full that they are "spewing" and we get it all. the flood
water would under normal circumstances go into Drains(which are like
canals), then into the canal, eventually the River Trent then the Humber
estuary.
This is because we are (at the bottom of the hills)the start of a vast flat
land. no visible feature on the horizon. Thats why we have Drains of the
canal type, to soak away excess water.

This has gone wrong because the underground drains(which should collect
water for Anglian Water for us to use) are faulty and there are tractors
(JCB) everywhere digging away, breaking up roads, costing what must be
millions. Personally I would not have thought that the drains would cope
even if they worked perfectly, we have had so much rain.

The rain has not stopped but is VERY much lighter now, for now! The garden
is still under water. The roads which havn't roadworks are passable,
driveable.

I tried to get a url explaining the drain (canal type) for people who are
interested, but got a blank. I am a bit pushed for time.

Baz