Old 19-04-2012, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Strawberries

In article ,
says...

I am growing some strawberry plants in pots in a cold greenhouse. They
are growing vigourously, with plenty of leaves and flowers. However the
leaves are turning a stripey yellow, verging on white. Obviously they
are lacking in something, but what?

Thanks for all the help. Spider's link showed leaves looking rather like
mine!

I'm not convinced on the pot bound theory, despite my own evidence. The
worst effected plants are in large 18" pots, 2 or 3 plants round the
edge of the pot (but a bit heavy to lift and knock out to see the
roots!).

I'll just keep giving them the tomorite and maybe a bit of blood, fish
snd bone.

Backgroud to why they are in pots is twofold:

1. In the ground, our dear friendly psky squirrels come and eat them,
even if I try and net them - they jump onto the net and force it down. I
intend building a strong cage, but.............

2. This year we will be away for last half of May and most of June (the
strawberry season) so I thought I woukd try and encourage some early
fruits, hence pots and greenhouse!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales