Old 19-04-2012, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default DIY question

In article ,
says...

Not very practical in design ideas but i wondered if there was a way I
could attach some sort of hose to the tap on my very large waterbutt and
lead it into the greenhouse via the bottom vents on the glass and then
perhaps put a stopper or some sort of tap on the end.
If I could then get the siphon to work i thought I could fill up my
watering cans from the barrel quicker than at present coming out of the
greenhouse and going round to the back where the butts are located.
So I'd need an idea of how to attach the hose to the tap and another to
have a stop of some sort at the other end - oh and a way to start the
siphon as presumably as the rain barrel is so tall and the water higher
than the watering can the water will flow out okay?

Answer eagerly awaited!!
Janet

A few years back I bought a cheapo water pump in the pound shop locally.
It works off an electric drill. If you have a source of electricity and
a drill (or just a hand held drill) you should be able to cobble
something together. I used to use mine for pumping the water out of the
ornamental pond we had then.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales