Old 20-04-2012, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim xzy Jim xzy is offline

Default Can anyone ID this yucca-like plant (..and it's problem)?

On 2012-04-20 08:56:16 +0100, Jim xzy said:

Hi all,

I have this yucca-like plant in my garden:

http://www.aalife.com/!yucca3.jpg

It is about 1.5 mtrs tall. Can anyone identify it for me? Is it, in
fact a yucca, or is it something else?

I'd also like to know why the leaf-ends are becoming dead and
shredded, as seen in the small photo underneath (sorry it is so
blurred). Would that be due to winds, or due to over-watering (or
even under-watering)?

Many thanks,

Jim

Looks like a young Cordyline. In parts of wind swept Devon &
Cornwall, they're wrapped in fleece in winter or just have cord tied
round their 'leaves' to stop them thrashing about and getting that
sort of damage. If knocked back by frost, they'll often re-sprout
from the trunk, created a many-headed monster, as ours has done here!
It's currently working on 7!

Mine is positioned out in the open where it receives full sun for most of
the day (weather permitting). However, I have just read, on a couple of
horticultural sites, that they are best protected from full afternoon sun.

So I'm thining of moving mine to an east-facing wall, and seeing of it
lookas any healthier by the end of the Summer.

Jim