Old 20-04-2012, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone ID this yucca-like plant (..and it's problem)?

On 20/04/2012 12:51, Jim xzy wrote:
wrote in :

I doubt that's necessary. Ours gets full sun, full wind, full frost,
full everything thrown at it. I don't like them and wasn't mourning
what looked like being its passing this past winter. But it's come
back, sprouting from the trunk and going great guns! There are a few
types and a variegated one called (iirc) Torbay Dazzler is also very
popular as is a bronze one. As Nick says, American planting advice
won't necessarily suit UK climates, so it's always best to check UK
sites for advice. I think yours is probably just recovering from the
winter.

Thanks to you and Nick! I'd love to plant mine in the ground, in the hopes
of it growing as big as possible, as fast as possible, but I gather they
like neutral-to-acid soil that's well drained. My soil is highly alkaline
and poorly drained (clayey) soil. Should I risk planting it, do you think?

It won't worry in the slightest about being in clay. I have no idea
about its response to highly alkaline soil, but if you can find a load
of pine needles then including those in the planting hole will help
acidify the soil.

--

Jeff