Old 20-04-2012, 07:34 PM
allen73 allen73 is offline
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Self propelled electric mowers seem like the obvious way to go, IF
they have the published longevity to complete a mowing, etc.

The published specs are just within limits of my new house, etc.

Informed advice and comments will be most welcome and thanks ...
Mine isn't a Flymo but is a rechargeable mower and is the greatest invention since sliced bread!! In saying that, there was a small area of Kikuyu in the rental and I used to adjust the mower one notch higher, but it still did a good job. I don't bother with the catcher, instead prop the rear shute open just a little so grass clippings don't clog up the works and my shoes/legs don't get splattered.

After every 2nd or 3rd mow, I plug the power adaptor into a power point and it's ready to go again next time, I mow a little over 400sqm each time. The battery can also be removed quite easily and take to the power point but I find it just as easy to leave it in situ for charging. At least you have options.

I'm assuming the Flymo is similar but didn't look into one as I didn't want to throw a whole lot of $$$'s at a rechargeable because I had doubts as to their capabilities....those doubts have been proved unfounded!! Anyway here's the one I have, ebay.com.au #280745718281 ....I can't vouch for, or promoting that seller as I bought mine elsewhere but it's the same mower (mine was cheaper). I've been using it for just over 18 months and would buy another in a heartbeat...a close family member bought a 'broken' one on eBay for a handful of $$$'s, it only needed a new fuse!! Btw, the fuse fitted when new is way too low and blew when I mowed into a clump of grass (yeah, shouldn't have done it, but you know how it is?) and I took it to an auto electrician to be tested, it was all OK and he said to use a 30Amp fuse, not a problem since.
Fruit Trees