Old 21-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Jon

Default Maximising Rhubarb Crop

Take it young and in the evening.

The sun works on Rhubarb in such a way that it is sweeter in the evening
than in the morning.

Pull it young and you can either blanche it before freezing OR if it is
very young, you can freeze it direct.

However, freezing does seem to turn sweet rhubarb rather tart :-{

EVERYBODY'S Rhubarb is cropping well now, that is why it is so cheap in
the shops, whereas a couple of months ago it was a luxury.

Mike

I have quite a large patch of rhubarb, but know very little about it other
than I love to eat it. Someone told me last year to cover it to keep the
light out. I put an oil drum over some of it and it produced lovely long
thin stems as opposed to the unshaded shorter, thicker, more woody stems. I
have done the samr this year and there are stems ready now. It is obvious
that the unshaded ones are developing a strong leaf structure, which the
others are not. Am I doing the right thing?
Jonny